HealingForReal

Chlorine Neutralizing Bath Salts

chlorineh4r

I love a nice, long, relaxing bath. I’ve been taking more baths lately with epsom salts to get a little bit more magnesium and to soak away some stress. Recently, I reordered the chlorine filter for our shower head and realized that the water in my baths was NOT being filtered. I was soaking for half an hour or more in chlorinated water when we had been trying to avoid it as much as possible by filtering our shower and our drinking water.

WHY? Chlorine is a chemical that kills living organisms. Unfortunately, it is not selective, so along with killing pathogens in our water, it kills beneficial bacteria and cells and tissues within the body. Inhaling chlorine byproducts in the steam from chlorinated showers and absorbing chlorine through the skin can trigger the body to produce free radicals, which cause damage to cells. Chlorine byproducts have also been shown to cause cancer and are a factor in heart disease .

[stextbox id=”info”]”Breast cancer, which now affects one in every eight women in North America, has recently been linked to the accumulation of chlorine compounds in the breast tissue.” (source).[/stextbox]

My plan to eliminate as many toxins as possible, definitely includes chlorine. For a more detailed article on the adverse effects of chlorine, click here.

I thought about how I might filter my bath water and found a few commercial products and contraptions that would do the trick.  When I looked into how they worked and what was used to filter the chlorine, I was surprised to find it was mostly ascorbic acid. What is ascorbic acid? Nothing more than VITAMIN C.

[AdsWithin]

Vitamin C as ascorbic acid has long been known to neutralize chloramine and chlorine in water. The reaction is quick and just one gram of ascorbic acid will neutralize 100 gallons of tap water(source).

OK, GREAT! Vitamin C. I had some in my cupboard and wondered if I should just crush a tablet or dissolve it in the water or what? I guess I could have done that, but a quick search lead me to find PURE VITAMIN C POWDER, ready to neutralize! The cost per bath is about SIX CENTS! I added it to the rest of the fun stuff I put in my bath and had myself a nice de-chlorinated soak in the tub. The difference in the smell of the bathwater was distinctly noticeable! It had a slightly sweet, metallic smell. Not at all unpleasant, just different. Different is GOOD in this case. No more chlorine smell! No more yuck.

So, here’s my ‘recipe’ for Chlorine Neutralizing Bath Salts!

[stextbox id=”stb_style_197640″]

Chlorine Neutralizing Bath Salts

Relaxation Version (enough for 1 bath)

1/2 cup Epsom Salt
1/2 tsp VITAMIN C POWDER
3 drops Lavender (or other favorite) Essential Oil

Detox Version (enough for 1 bath)

2 cups Epsom Salt
1/2 tsp VITAMIN C POWDER
1/2 cup Bentonite Clay
1/2 cup Sea Salt
1/2 cup Baking Soda
3 drops Peppermint (or other detoxing) essential oil
3 drops Rosemary (or other detoxing) essential oil
(Other oils good for detox might be grapefruit, lime, lemon, rose, cypress, etc.)

[/stextbox]

If you already have a favorite recipe, just add about 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin c powder (or 1 gram if you want to get technical and weigh it) for EACH ‘serving’ of bath salt. (Example – If you use 1 cup of your bath salt recipe per bath and you make a 4 cup batch, you would add 1/2 tsp per cup which would be 2 tsp. total – MIX WELL!).

If you’re NOT filtering your drinking water and shower water, read the articles linked above and below and maybe reconsider and get a good filter! We use THIS ONE and LOVE it. And it’s not ugly, so it sits nicely on the counter.

“…Chlorine represents a very real and serious threat to our health and should be removed in our homes, at the point of use, both from the water we drink and the water we shower in.”
-Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DABFM

Note: I’ve had a few skeptics wonder if this can really be true. For more information and and some chemistry lessons, here are a few links!

SFPUC determined
depressing pH.

You can google more or buy a test kit like this one and try it out yourself.

This post is shared at, Butter BelieverHomegrown & Healthy Food ForagerThank Your BodyIntoxicatedonLifeSmall Footprint FamilyGnowfglinsHolistic SquidMy Cultured Palate

33 Thoughts on “Chlorine Neutralizing Bath Salts

1. Louise Wiles on May 29, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

Would this work to put in a water softener system for showers?

• admin on May 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm said:

I have read about Vitamin C filters for systems, but I am not familiar with how they work so I’m not sure if Vitamin C powder would be OK. Maybe check your water softener manual.

2. Peter Fitzsimmons on May 29, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

You didn’t say if you had a separate bathtub and shower, or if you have a combination bathtub/shower. I have a combination and I use a shower head filter. When I want to soak in a bath, I use the shower head to fill the bath tub.

3. Thanks! I have wondered if there was something like this. I have pinned it to share with friends!!

4. AnnMarie Deis on May 29, 2013 at 3:40 pm said:

Is there any reliable way to determine the level of chlorine in water?

• admin on May 30, 2013 at 6:11 am said:

From what I’ve read, a testing chemical called OTO can determine the level of chlorine when added to water. You can buy it in any pool store. You can get a whole pool kit for under $20, which will test several chemicals including chlorine. http://amzn.to/1aDIeFp

5. Jeannie Van Popta on May 29, 2013 at 8:19 pm said:

I was wondering if you knew if the Vit. C powder is made from GMO’s or not? Thanks.

6. Amanda on May 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm said:

I made a Vitamin C spray to use when I get out of the swimming pool. It works really well!! No more smelling like Chlorine.

7. Awesome tip! The skin absorbs everything so you have to be so careful what you expose it to!

I’d love it if you’d link this post up at Small Footprint Fridays. The link up opens tomorrow night around 9pm PST!

8. love this tip! thanks you!

9. Sacy on June 1, 2013 at 4:25 am said:

Just curious if anyone has actually tried this and then tested the bathwater to see if it tests chlorinated or not? We use a shower filter to fill the tub but this would be faster – i just have a hard time ‘believing’ without the test……

• admin on June 1, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

I tend to believe the scientists who did the original experiments linked in the post. If you are concerned, though, you can buy a chlorine testing kit like this one: http://amzn.to/1aDIeFp and do a few experiments and let us know how they turn out! 😉

• Sharon on June 21, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

Yes, I have tested the water after using vitamin C. One 1,000 mg tablet will remove all the chlorine from even a large garden tub full of water. Also, the vitamin C shower filter Vita Shower removes all the chlorine. I tried the Sonaki hand-held shower head/filter and it did not remove hardly any chlorine. This is so for water that has chlorine used as the disinfectant. If chloramine is used in your water (chlorine + ammonia), it will take much more vitamin C to neutralize it.

10. Carole on June 1, 2013 at 7:01 am said:

I thought baking soda neutralized chlorine… is that not correct?

11. I don’t often have a chance to take baths, but next time I do I’m going to for sure try this out! THanks so much for sharing this recipe on Wellness Wednesday 🙂

12. Interesting. I have been wanting to get a filter for a while. I’ll definitely add some Vitamin C to my next batch of bath salts. Thanks!

13. Pingback: Keep the Chlorine OUT of the Kiddie Pool! | The Reluctant Healthwife

14. Sheryl Demers on August 8, 2013 at 2:50 pm said:

Excellent info on the vit C. I do the epsom salts with essential oils as well using the shower head which has a filter in it to take out the chlorine. But I will still add the vit C. Thanks for sharing the Detox Version. I have a similar one without the clay, but I will add that to my next bath

15. Amanda on October 4, 2013 at 4:18 pm said:

Hi! I’m curious about the safety of this blend for children. I’m not even sure if epsom salts is safe (sometimes my 2yo drinks a little of the bathwater- i know, gross). Any thoughts?

16. Christy on October 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm said:

The link for this text above is broken: “SFPUC determined that 1000 mg of Vitamin C (tablets purchased in a grocery store, crushed and mixed in with the bath water) remove chloramine completely in a medium size bathtub without significantly depressing pH.”

I found it here: http://www.sfwater.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=4125

17. V. Anderson on October 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm said:

I’m thinking I should be adding Vitamin C powder to my dishwasher loads to neutralize the chlorine while the dishes are washing. Anybody do this? How much would you add?

18. Would your detox work well for someone who is a competitive swimmer and is exposed to chlorine pools regularly? My daughter swims competitively and I am wondering is a weekly detox soak would be beneficial for her? Thanks!

19. Now to find a NON-TOXIC shower head that filters too. Hot water running through plastic is not good thing. I just removed my filter from my shower when I found out it had bpa plastic in the hose! I’m not sure if I trust non-bpa either. Anyone know of a filter that doesn’t use plastic? Off to try the Vit C trick, thanks!

20. Pingback: links |

21. Kristina Estrada on November 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm said:

I was wondering if instead of the essential oil, can we use an extract…. Like orange extract. Thanks in advance!